We are firmly in the thick of tax season here
. The IRS has finally started getting their revisions finalized as a result Congress passing the tax law changes at the end of the year. Perhaps they need to hire our software programmers since our updates have been completed since mid-January.

Here’s the number: (936) 273-1188

(Especially if you want to take advantage of what I have for you at the end of this email.)

Even though the IRS has a list of forms which will prevent us from being able to *file* certain tax returns until late February or early March (that list is found here — they’re mostly obscure, but worth looking over), that doesn’t mean we can’t start to prepare these returns.

However, perhaps it’s difficult for you to get that paperwork together … because you haven’t received all of it? My son had the same question since he as not received one of his 1099’s. If so, here’s what to do…

Aurelia E Weems, Woodlands CPA & Tax Professional explains what happens When The Paperwork Doesn’t Come
As I write this on Friday, it’s past the time when organizations are supposed to have mailed all of their 1099’s and W-2’s (which was January 31st). By the time YOU receive and read this, you’ll have already checked your mail on Monday, and found out if you have all of the information you need.

Unfortunately, the consequences for not getting these forms out on time don’t often carry much teeth for employers. Further, sometimes HR departments or very small businesses don’t get their act together (probably because someone competent isn’t helping them! –ahem–), and … the W-2’s take a while.

(Here’s a link to concise information about what happens on the business owner side of things: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/happens-dont-make-w2-deadline-employees-15702.html )

If you haven’t gotten your W-2 on time, ~Contact.FirstName~, here are some basic steps for you (you might want to print out or save this email, by the way):

1) Contact your payroll department/boss. Be nice about it — after all, they’re just as burdened by the paperwork junk as you are!

2) If, however, the days roll by and the form is indeed lost or your employer is inordinately slow in issuing a replacement, or you worked for a company that went out of business and there’s no one to bug about getting a W-2 … what then?

“Make” your own!
Well, actually, you contact the IRS at this number: (800) 829-1040 with the following info from your last paystub handy:
• Year’s wages.
• Payroll taxes withheld.
• Federal and state income taxes withheld.
• Contributions to your company retirement/401(k) plan.
• Employer’s tax identification number.

Wait on hold, and ask for Form 4852. Basically, this will inform your employer “officially” that they’re delinquent, and you can even use this form in a pinch, if your employer never gets their act together.

If you have not received your 1099, here are some options:

1) Contact the company to see when the forms were mailed out. If they have been mailed out more than a week ago, then ask them to resend a copy and you can even have them fax it directly to us at (888) 420-4570.

2) If they have not prepared the forms, get them to print a history of payments to you. While they may not prepare a 1099 for you, you are suppose to report income if it is $400 or more.

Or — do you want the BEST solution? Let us handle all that junk for you in the first place … which is part of what we do!

See below. And please feel free to call [(936) 273-1188] or email me and my staff. Just because we’re busy, doesn’t mean we don’t care!